The Internet of Things, ubiquitous mobile connectivity, and new Big Data applications are poised to digitally revolutionize and elevate the experience of owning, operating, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing durable goods sourced from leading manufacturers supported by their retail and aftermarket service partners. This ecosystem includes makers and sellers of home appliances (white and brown goods), office products, computer hardware, machinery, power tools, engines, consumer electronics, maintenance equipment, as well as gardening, boating/recreational and auto aftermarket products.
Under the auspices of its Customer Experience Board, the CMO Council invited industry bodies, manufacturers, retailers and consumer rights advocates to participate in a major initiative to “Elevate What Consumers Appreciate: Increase Brand Attraction By Upgrading Ownership Satisfaction.” This was be done through:
- Audits of a brand’s product ownership experience by third-parties
- Industry survey of aftermarket service innovations and commitments
- CMO Council member interaction around “best practices”
- Customer engagement on aftermarket service pain and strain
- Social media insights and analytics on tonality and sentiment of consumer commentary
Additional insights were gathered from domain experts, solution providers, consultants, publishers, management consultants and benchmarking groups, such as the American Customer Satisfaction Index, J.D. Power, Consumers Union, TWICE, and many others.