Discovering the Pivotal Point Consumer
A milestone study of American consumer shopping behavior
Discovering The Pivotal Point Consumer™ is a milestone study of American consumer shopping behavior that is designed to provide fresh and actionable insight, backed by detailed data, to help Consumer Packaged Goods marketers and retailers better understand and address the global challenge of fragmentation and the need for precision marketing. Conducted by Catalina Marketing's Pointer Media Network, in conjunction with the CMO Council, the study unmasks the myth of the mass market in today's CPG industry, while underscoring the importance—and scarcity—of the Pivotal Point Consumer™ that is critical to the success of every product brand.
The study is unprecendented in its breadth—and its granularity. Rather than relying on limited consumer panels or polls, the study examines the actual purchasing behavior of nearly 54 million individual American consumers over a year-long period ending August 10, 2008. The research included all grocery store shoppers in the Pointer Media Network of more than 23,000 retail grocery stores, mass merchandisers and chain drug stores in the U.S. Covering 1,364 consumer brands representing the most popular products in 328 categories, the study provides insigh into concentrations of consumers ofr major established brands, as well as emerging preference categories, popular new products and the brand extensions of leading master brands.
Facts & Stats
- The traditional 80-20 rule, the idea that 80 percent of sales come 20 percent of shoppers, dramatically overstates the size of today's volume buyer base for consumer product brands.
- Among more than 1,300 individual product brands, just 2.5 percent of shopper accounted for 80 percent of sales for the average brand.
- Of brands surveyed - all top selling products in their categories - only 25 relied on more than 10 percent of shoppers to drive 80 percent of sales.
- The number of new CPG products reaching the market each year now surpasses 25,000, more than 10 times the rate of 1980.
Studies & White Papers
A milestone study of American consumer shopping behavior that is designed to provide fresh and actionable insight, backed by detailed data, to help Consumer Packaged Goods marketers and retailers better understand and address the global challenge of fragmentation and the need for precision marketing.
December 8, 2008 • New Ad Net Registers With Consumers • AdWeek
- Armed with two years of purchase data for 80 million individual consumers, Catalina Marketing is this week launching a new in-store ad network called the Pointer Media Network. Pointer Media Network's in-store service uses purchasing patterns to customize promotions.